Causes of Communication Breakdown
Weekly Readings and Videos
Models of Communication. (2018, Feb 4). businesstopia.net
4 Common Causes of Communication Breakdowns at Work. Wells, K. (2017, Dec 5). fsd.servicemax.com
3.2 Communication Models. Excerpt from Communication in the Real World: An Introduction to Communication Studies. (2016, Sep 29). open.lib.umn.edu
Importance of Emotional Intelligence in Business World. Danielle. (2019, Oct 29). thefrisky.com
How Walmart Transformed Its Corporate Communications Strategy with the Power of Brand Storytelling. (n.d.). brightspot.com
Communication Barriers. (7:17). Communication Coach Alex Lyon. (2018, Jan 15). youtube.com
Communication plays a major role in your responsibilities as a Walmart associate. Many of your daily activities revolve around communication with customers, managers, and other associates. Sometimes, barriers to communication make it difficult to understand others, or to be understood. This assignment will consider some of the causes of communication breakdown and how they can be minimized or overcome.
Review this week’s course content and conduct outside research on various causes for communication breakdown. Based on this week’s readings and video content, and your outside research, answer the following questions:
- How does physical noise create barriers to effective communication?
- Explain one way you can minimize physical noise when communicating with others.
- How does psychological noise create barriers to effective communication?
- Explain one way you can minimize psychological noise when communicating with others.
- How do emotions create barriers to effective communication?
- Explain one way you can minimize the effects of emotion when communicating with others.
- Can the mode of communication (face-to-face, email, text, phone, etc.) be a barrier to effective communication?
- Explain your answer.
- Why is it important to choose the right communication model (i.e., Linear, Transactional, Interactional) to fit the situation?