- Review the Learning Resources for this week in preparation to complete this Assignment.
- Reflect on the basic function and structure of the neuron in relation to the central nervous system.
- Reflect on the inter-connectedness between neurons and the central nervous system, including the pathway and distribution of electrical impulses.
- Reflect on how neurons communicate with each other and review the concept of neuroplasticity.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Science Photo Libra
Address the following Short Answer prompts for your Assignment. Be sure to include references to the Learning Resources for this week.
- In 4 or 5 sentences, describe the anatomy of the basic unit of the nervous system, the neuron. Include each part of the neuron and a general overview of electrical impulse conduction, the pathway it travels, and the net result at the termination of the impulse. Be specific and provide examples.
- Answer the following (listing is acceptable for these questions):
- What are the major components that make up the subcortical structures?
- Which component plays a role in learning, memory, and addiction?
- What are the two key neurotransmitters located in the nigra striatal region of the brain that play a major role in motor control?
- In 3 or 4 sentences, explain how glia cells function in the central nervous system. Be specific and provide examples.
- The synapse is an area between two neurons that allows for chemical communication. In 3 or 4 sentences, explain what part of the neurons are communicating with each other and in which direction does this communication occur? Be specific.
- In 3–5 sentences, explain the concept of “neuroplasticity.” Be specific and provide examples.