The manner in which a teacher responds to a studentâ€™s challenging behavior can result in positive and negative outcomes. Often students have been conditioned that by engaging in certain behaviors their needs or wants will be met, thus making the challenging behavior an adaptive behavior. Teachers need to be aware of how they respond to challenging behavior to avoid inadvertently reinforcing the challenging behavior. However, by teaching and positively reinforcing replacement behaviors, students will learn to engage in more appropriate behaviors to get what they want and need.
Allocate at least 5 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Coordinate with a certified special education teacher to work with a student or small group of students who have behavior plans in place. Teach an activity of your mentor teacherâ€™s choice to the students and observe the following:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Setting: What is the setting like surrounding where the students are participating in the activity?
- Interventions/Plans: What are the interventions, replacement behaviors, and/or goals in place for the students?
- Crisis Plan in place by mentor/district: Refer to Topic 6 assignment. What plans are in place to ensure studentsâ€™ safety?
- Activity: What is the activity you are facilitating? How does it support the behavior needs of the students? If it does not fully support the student behavior needs, how could it be adapted?
- General behavior during activity: How did the students engage with the activity, you (as the teacher), and any other students?
- Misbehavior or disruptive behavior: Did the students display any misbehavior or disruptive behavior? Why do you think they did or did not behave appropriately? Or, if they behaved appropriately, what do you feel contributed to them following the expectations without misbehavior?
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect upon the above observation points in your clinical field experience.
In an additional 250-500 words, explain how you will use what you have learned from the clinical field experiences in this course in your future professional practices relating to behavior management and addressing any crisis situations observed or discussed with mentor. Cite the Ethical Principles and Professional Practice Standards in your response.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
Document the locations and hours you spend in the field on your Clinical Field Experience Verification Form.
Submit the Clinical Field Experience Verification Form to the LMS in the last topic. Directions for submitting can be found on the College of Education site in the Student Success Center.