Understanding the strengths of each type of therapy and which type of therapy is most appropriate for each patient is an essential skill of the psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner. In this Assignment, you will compare humanistic-existential therapy to another psychotherapeutic approach. You will identify the strengths and challenges of each approach and describe expected potential outcomes.
· Review the humanistic-existential psychotherapy videos in this week’s Learning Resources.
· Reflect on humanistic-existential psychotherapeutic approaches.
· Then, select another psychotherapeutic approach to compare with humanistic-existential psychotherapy. The approach you choose may be one you previously explored in the course or one you are familiar with and especially interested in.
In a 3-page paper, address the following:
· Briefly describe humanistic-existential psychotherapy and the second approach you selected.
· Explain at least three differences between these therapies. Include how these differences might impact your practice as a PMHNP.
· Focusing on one video you viewed, explain why humanistic-existential psychotherapy was utilized with the patient in the video and why it was the treatment of choice. Describe the expected potential outcome if the second approach had been used with the patient.
· Support your response with specific examples from this week’s media and at least three peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources. Explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Attach the PDFs of your sources .
Required Resources to use
· Grande, T. (2019, January 9). Theories of counseling – Existential therapy Links to an external site. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvAvc2aWup0
· PsychotherapyNet. (2009, June 29). James Bugental live case consultation psychotherapy video Links to an external site. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl8tVTjdocI
· ThinkingallowedTV. (2010, September 20). James Bugental: Humanistic psychotherapy (excerpt) – A thinking allowed DVD w/ Jeffrey Mishlove Links to an external site. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjDNKGIvWPQ
· Biophily2. (2016, October 4). Abraham Maslow, Rollo May, Carl Rogers – Existential psychology II (1962) Links to an external site. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTTqKNI7wDo
· Bugental, J. (2008). Existential-humanistic psychotherapy Links to an external site. [Video]. https://waldenu.kanopy.com/video/existential-humanistic-psychotherapy
· The Psychology Podcast. (2021, Aug 30). Irvin Yalom- Existential psychotherapy. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2vef8W1a0k