COURSE: Nursing Care of the Family
TITLE OF ASSIGNMENT:Online Discussion Forum #1: Providing Culturally Congruent Nursing Care for a Somali Family
LEARNING ACTIVITY: Discussion – 10 pts
PSLO and Competency Addressed:
PSLO 3: Utilize best available evidence and informatics to guide decision making.
COMP 3C: Analyze unique needs of the family related to protection of human subjects in research.
PSLO 5: Adapt communication strategies to effectively respond to complex situations.
COMP 5J: Examine safeguard and decision-making support tools embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support a safe practice environment for both patients and families unique contribution to patient outcomes.
COMP 5N: Identify information systems in practice settings.
- Read the case study of the Housah-Ibrahim Family in our text (Kaakinen et. al., 2015, p. 379-380).
- Initial posting should include your answer to the first two scenarios/questions. Initial posting is due per course calendar.
- Responses will include responses to initial postings from at least two other students. They will include scholarly responses, including outside evidence-based sources. Responses are due per course calendar.
- Initial posting and responses should include evidence from the case study and from recommended journal readings. Scholarly writing (proper grammar and use of APA for references) should be used.
- Prepare to answer questions by reading the case study and additional readings.
- Review the grading rubric to make sure you complete the assignment accurately.
For both questions, you are a home care nurse for the Maternal Child Health Home Care Agency of St. John’s Hall Hospital. You are assigned to provide post-partum and newborn care in the home setting for the Housah-Ibrahim family, who recently had their first child at the hospital. Your nursing supervisor wants you to ask the husband and wife if they would participate in a research study exploring the experiences of Muslim families who have given birth at St. John’s Hall Hospital. You are given an informed consent form for the husband and wife to sign.
Considering what you know (and research) about this family, their Muslim culture and the ethical issues related to informed consent, would you encourage this family to sign the informed consent form? Why or why not?
Consider the stresses this family is experiencing. Would participating in this study potentially increase the family’s stress and ability to cope?
Consider the unique characteristics and needs that might influence this family’s decision to participate in this research. How would you present the information? What would you tell them about the informed consent process?
Dhami, S., & Sheikh, A. (2000). The Muslim family: predicament and promise. Western Journal of Medicine, 173(5), 352–356. Access online at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071164/pdf/wjm17300352.pdf
Schrems, B. M. (2014). Informed consent, vulnerability and the risks of group-specific attribution. Nursing Ethics, 2(7), 829-843.