- Write an original paper.
- Submit it to the dropbox for a grade based on the rubric.
The following are some conceptual models and theories you may choose from; however, you may choose any nurse theorist:
- Florence Nightengale’s Environmental Model
- Dorothy Johnson’s Behavioral System Model
- Hildegard Peplau’s Interpersonal Process Theory
- Dorothea Orem’s Self-Care Deficit Theory
- Ida Jean Orlando’s Nursing Process
- Sister Calista Roy’s Adaptation Model
- Madeleine Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care Diversity and Universality
- Jean Watson’s Nursing as Caring Theory
- Margaret Newman’s Health Expanding Consciousness
- Martha Roger’s Science of Unitary of Human Being
- Abdellah’s Patient-Centered Approaches Theory
Steps to follow to do your critique:
- You can visit the Fitne website to watch videos about the above mentioned theorist.
- You can use the Internet to find a journal or articles that provides an analysis and critique of a theory of nursing as a resource to start working with your own critique.
- You need to login entering the following information:
- Username: medical center campus
- Password: medical
- Under the Nurse Theorists: Portraits of Excellence (Volume I) link select the theorist of your choice
- On the left navigation area select a topic to view
- You must use the criteria for analysis and critique of theories in Chapter 1 of the George text book.
- You will select the link “Library Resources” found under the “NUR3846 – Library” tab (located on left-side of screen) to do your research and complete your literature review of the model/theory you selected.
- You may physically visit the library in person as well, and ask for help from the library staff.
Your critique must have the following headings and follow APA Guidelines.
- Describe the main ideas of the theory (should include the assumptions under which the theory operates).
- What are the main concepts?
- What are the main relationships between the concepts?
- How do different concepts affect each other?
Origins of the Theory
- What was going on in the profession of nursing or in American society that may have influenced the theory?
- What values, theories, evidence, and/or existing knowledge did the theorist cite as support for the theory?
- What motivated the theorist to write the theory?
- What approach to theory development did the theorist use?
- How useful is this theory in practice?
- Is the theory practical and helpful to nursing?
- Does it contribute to understanding and predicting outcomes?
- Cite an example/case study where this theory could be used.
- How testable is this theory?
- Has this theory generated research? How many and what types of studies?
- Give one example of a study done using the theory
- What types of statements are the propositions?
- Is the theory comprehensive and specific?
- How general is the theory?
- Summarize the strengths and weaknesses of the theory.
- Why would you use or not use this theory in your own advanced practice? (Begin to think about the your presentation “Synthesis of Nursing Theory”).