Colonial Higher Education, 1636-1784
In Chapter One, Thelin (2011) describes the influences of several historical, political, ethical, and/or economic issues impacting higher education during the Colonial era. Some of those issues include:
- Governance and structure.
- College finances.
- Religion and the college.
- The curriculum.
- Student diversity and experimentation.
- The limits of instructional purpose and educational mission.
Select a topic from the list. Choose either a historical, political, ethical, or economic issue pertaining to that topic. Consider a variety of perspectives including current perspectives on this topic.
- Explain how the issue influenced higher education during the Colonial era as well as how it influences higher education today.
- Describe the most important factors and the complexities of this issue during the Colonial era as well as today.
- Evaluate some of the challenges of this issue that you believe still need to be addressed today. Explain why.
Compose a formal paper between two and three pages in length (not including title and reference pages) incorporating the stated content above.
Graduate level writing requires adherence to APA format, must be free of mechanical and grammatical errors, and include at least one scholarly source in addition to the course text. References should support your thinking and be cited in-text as well as in the required reference page.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.