Biology homework help
Name of Microorganism: ________________________________________________________ 1) Description of the Microorganism (week 1) a) Write a paragraph describing your organism. Please be sure to include the type of organism (bacterial, viral, fungal, protozoa, helminth, etc), morphology (shape, arrangement , colony morphology if applicable), description of structure (gram result, type of nucleic acid or virion structure, spore type, etc if applicable) and also the type of microscope and/or stain you would use to view the organism. Please use proper scientific terminology and good grammar and sentence structure throughout this project.
2) Virulence Factors a) Include a paragraph on the virulence factors the pathogen has and how they affect the host. Please enhance this with detailed explanations of the virulence factors and how they affect the host as you gain a better understanding of them throughout the semester.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
3. Immunity a) Which defenses protect us from infection by this bacterium? b) Does this pathogen induce a specific type of immune response (example: delayed-type hypersensitivity)? If so, which one(s)?
4. Pathology (Infectious Disease Information)
a. What condition(s) or infectious disease(s) does it cause? b. Which tissues or organs are affected, and how are they affected (for example, chronic TB is characterized by lung tubercles)? Record your answers in the table below. c. Describe the complications that can result if the infection is left untreated. d. Are these acute, chronic, or latent infections? e. What organ system(s) does it infect? f. Is it an opportunistic pathogen? If so, where is it normally found in the body? 5. Epidemiology a. Draw and label a diagram on how this organism is transmitted. Make sure you include the reservoirs of infection, any vectors if involved in transmission, the type of transmission, and portals of entry and exit.
6. Presentations Provide a written, detailed description of a hypothetical patient. Be imaginative and create a hypothetical situation that would correspond with your microorganism. This is expected to be at least 8-10 sentences in length and is expected to be comprehensive and detailed. You are expected to include descriptions of:
a. Signs and symptoms, using correct terminology b. Patient history, including any situation that could explain how the infection was acquired (for example, if a food-borne intoxication is involved, when and how it could have been ingested?) c. Any condition that could have predisposed the patient to infection (diabetes; immunosuppressive therapy; burns, etc.). Note: Avoid the term “persons who are immune compromised,” for 2 reasons: It is a vague condition that has a variety of etiologies, and it is assumed that all persons who are “immune compromised” are at risk for all infectious diseases. d. Any data-specific indicators that would be important in a clinical setting, for example, urea or sugar levels in the blood or urine, elevated WBC, elevated CO2 levels, etc.):
7. Prevention a. Is there a childhood vaccine against this microbe? Name of vaccine b. If so, when is it administered (the recommended schedule, including boosters if recommended)? c. If the vaccine is not recommended during childhood, which at-risk group should get the vaccine, and when? d. Describe the type of vaccine and how it works : e. If there is no vaccine available, list at least three measures the can be implemented to prevent people from acquiring this infection. 8. Treatment a. Chemotherapeutic agents: b. Mechanism of action for these chemotherapeutic agents : c. Why is this agent efficacious against this particular organism ? b. Additional therapeutic agents or practices:
9 Clinical relevance: a. Are there any MDR (multi-drug resistant) strains of this microorganism? If so, name the strain(s) b. Is this strain a known healthcare-associated pathogen?
c. Which persons/procedures within a clinical or healthcare-assisted setting are particularly at risk?
b. Which antibiotics are used against the multi-drug resistant strains? Be specific.
10. References: Include at least 4 APA style references (scientifically appropriate credible resources) that show where you found the information in this microorganism profile.