Locate the following article in the Business Source Complete database in the CSU Online Library:
Hurd, R. W. (2013). Moving beyond the critical synthesis: Does the law preclude a future for US unions?Labor History, 54(2), 193-200.
This article is a reflective essay that assesses the strength of comments made by Christopher L. Tomlins in his book The State and Unions (1985), which looks back over the past quarter century. Various predictions were made concerning union decline and failed revival efforts as well as counterfeit rights offered to the U.S. working class.
Using all of the knowledge accumulated in this unit and in previous units, write a critique of the article. You may use other academic resources to support your points as necessary. Your critique must be at least three pages in length.
Your critique should address the questions below.
- What are the author’s main points?
- Do the arguments presented by the author support the main point?
- What evidence supports the main point? For example, if Tomlin’s thesis that the New Deal offered only a counterfeit liberty to labor is true, what effect does that have on employee morale?
- Briefly describe two collective bargaining strategies companies use when dealing with unions. How can these strategies affect employee morale?
- What is your opinion of the article?
- What evidence, either from the textbook or from additional sources, supports your opinion?
- Be sure to follow the guidelines below.
- Accurately identify the premise and supporting points from the article.
- Provide an insightful and thorough analysis of the information from the article, including using evidence as well as reasonable and compelling interpretations.
- Link material to course content and real-world situations.
- Organize the material logically by using smooth transitions and by grouping similar material together.
- Cite all sources used; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations in APA format.