Explain specifically how your worldview is affected by these standpoints.
Each of these questions requires you to apply some component of a theory. Some of the questions ask you to come up with an example of a theory component; some of them provide you with an example and ask you to say what the theory component is. Almost all of the questions ask you to first define that component before applying it. I would expect one good paragraph (about 10 sentences). The questions are application questions or questions that ask you to provide your own argument about how the theory should be considered. The answers should be your own work. You certainly shouldn’t be providing entire phrases and sentences from outside sources and representing them as your own when answering the question.You have to answer the question, and don’t write abstractly or write like you’re quoting definitions.
1. Considering Speech Codes theory, do you agree that we tend to stick to our culturally-subscribed speech code or do you think we adapt to/accommodate others? Going further, how might the choice to accommodate or diverge from your speech code be a violation of a cultural expectation (think Expectancy Violations Theory from unit 1)?
2. Tannen discusses the impact that gender has on our communication. Do cultural factors complicate Tannen’s findings? In other words, would the interaction of culture with gender potentially challenge any of Tannen’s conclusions? What about power or authority? Does the authority or power one holds potentially challenge any of Tannen’s conclusions? Why or why not?
1. Suppose your instructor leads a discussion thread on the class Canvas site about whether this course (SP312: Theories of Communication) should require a major research paper rather than shorter analytical papers. Which of the 8 symptoms of groupthink do you think would emerge among the group (e.g. the class)? Be sure to explain how and why they would emerge. Are there conditions that exist in this class that would work as ways to prevent groupthink from occurring in that situation? Make sure to explain how these fit this part of the theory.
2. Reflect on a conflict that you recently experienced or are currently experiencing. What conflict management style are you employing? How so? What conflict management style are others in the conflict employing? How so? How would you describe the facework being employed by you and others in the conflict? Do your experiences support or undermine Ting-Toomey’s predictions?
1. Identify two social groups (e.g., race, class, gender, sexual orientation, etc.) to which you belong that significantly shape your standpoint. Explain specifically how your worldview is affected by these standpoints. Then, for each, measure your degree of objectivity, making sure to consider what the theory says.
2. While Kramerae has dealt primarily with the muting of women, her theory about muted groups has been discussed as applying to other marginalized groups. Pick one of the following groups to discuss in regard to her theory. How are the elderly or economically underprivileged muted in our society? Then, what strategies are this group using to be heard (what the theory would call “alternative discursive modes”)?