This is a group project. Please choose 3-5 classmates to work with.
Health Research Project
Part I: Literature Review
Your literature review should be 4-6 pages long.
The total amount of points you can earn for this paper is 100 points.
APA Style Requirement: Your paper should be written in APA style. APA style includes a typed paper that is double spaced, on standardized paper (8.5 x 11) with 1” margins on all sides and written in 12 point Times New Roman Font. Details about citing various sources will be given in detail separately.
Note: Do not write in first person.
Introduction: (30 Points)
The introduction of your paper should introduce the health topic that you have researched. Your introduction should include the following:
- A thorough general overview about your and your chosen health topic and target group.
- Make sure that your introduction includes a thesis statement.
Example Thesis Statement: Smoking cigarettes has been one of the greatest risk factors in developing lung cancer.
Thesis Statement Guidelines: http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/thesis-statements/
Body of Paper: (50 Points)
The body of your paper should include the following:
- Detailed information about your chosen health topic.
- Target Group: What group of people is this health issue affecting (ex: African Americans, Asians, Caucasians, Elderly, Children, Teenagers or College Students)?
- Statistics/Prevalence – (Evidence of the impact of the issue): Include supporting facts and details about the health topic (include at least one statistic about your health topic).
- Best Practices: What is being done to address this health issue? Discuss at least one program, organization or initiative that addresses your health issue and target group.
Conclusion: (20 Points)
The conclusion of your paper should include the following:
- Summarize your findings.
- Do you have any suggestions about how to address this issue? Is there a need for more programs or initiatives to address this issue?
You are required to have at least five peer reviewed articles as references. Retrieve five peer reviewed health articles about your chosen health topic and target group from the PGCC library research database. You are not limited to only five references. You can also include books and other scholarly references that will help you write your paper.
Grading Rubric: Health Research Literature Review
|Quality and Criteria
1.Presentation of the text
2.Structuring of text 3. Follows requirements of length, font and style
|Follows poorly the requirements related to format and layout.
|Follows, for the most part, some of the requirements related to format and layout. Many requirements are not followed.
|Closely follows all the requirements related to format and layout.
1. All elements of the
topics are addressed
2.The information is
3. Information based on
4. Coherence of
5. Body and
Conclusion of paper
|The essay addresses poorly the issues referred in the proposed topic. The provided information is not necessary or not sufficient to discuss these issues.
|The essay for the most part addresses with an in-depth analysis most of the issues referred in the proposed topic. The provided information is, for the most part, necessary and sufficient to discuss these issues.
You provide a lot of valuable information about your topic. However, a lot of the information in this paper is not cited.
|The essay addresses with an in-depth analysis all the issues referred in the proposed topic. The provided information is necessary and sufficient to discuss these issues.|
|Quality of Writing
1.Clarity of sentences
2.No errors and
spelling, grammar and
use of English
coherence of ideas
|The essay is not well written, and contains many spelling errors, and/or grammatical errors and/or use of English errors. The essay is badly organized, lacks clarity and/or does not present ideas in a coherent way.||The essay is fairly written for the most part, with minimum spelling, grammar and use of English errors. The essay is for the most part organized, clear and presents ideas in a coherent way.
|The essay is well written from start to finish, without spelling, grammar or use of English errors. The essay is well organized, clear and presents ideas in a coherent way.
|References and use of references
1.Scholarly level of references
2.How effective the references are used in the essay
3.APA style in reference list and for citations
|Most of the references used are not important, and/or are not of good/scholarly quality. There is not a minimum of 5 scholarly resources, and/or they are not used effectively in the essay. Some references are not effectively used, and/or correctly cited and/or correctly listed in the reference list according to APA style.||Most of the references used are important and are of good/scholarly quality. There is a minimum of 5 scholarly resources that are for the most part used effectively in the essay. Most of the references are effectively used, correctly cited and correctly listed in the reference list according to APA style.||All the references used are important and are of good/scholarly quality. There is a minimum of 5 scholarly resources that are used effectively in the essay. All the references are effectively used, correctly cited and correctly listed in the reference list according to APA style.|
Part II: Health Research Project – PowerPoint Presentation
Your PowerPoint presentations should include (15 slides):
- Total of 10-15 slides
- Give a brief overview of your research paper
- You can include a video that is related to your topic (videos should be no longer than 2-3 minutes)
- What group of women is this health issue affecting (ex: African Americans, Asians, Caucasians, Elderly, Children, Teenagers or College Students).
- Discuss in detail the health effects regarding the health topic you researched.
- Include supporting facts and details about the health topic (include at least one statistic about your health topic).
- Discuss what is happening at the local/state or federal level in order to address your health topic.
- Be Creative: Make your presentation colorful and include pictures.
- Avoid typing too many words on one slide.
- Utilize bullet points to organize the information in your slides.
- Make sure that your presentation is concise and well organized.
- Avoid Plagiarism: Cite all information that you get from different sources (online, articles, books etc.).
- Reference Page: Include a reference page if you use information from information from different sources (online, articles, books etc.).
Part II- Power Point Presentation Rubric:
Organization & Writing
|The presentation is well organized. Slides do not have too many words.||5|
|Presentation does not contain spelling and grammatical errors.||5|
|Discuss in detail the health effects, regarding the health topic you researched.
|Discuss in detail how the health effects impact your chosen target group||20|
|Discuss statistics regarding the health issue and target group.||20|
|Discuss what is happening at the local/state or federal level in order to address your health topic.
|Pictures are informative, effective, and not distracting||5|
|Length of presentation is within the assigned time limits.||5|
Part III: Health Research – Public Health Service Announcement
You are a member of the PGCC Health Club. Your group assignment is to create a chronic disease prevention Public Service Announcement (PSA) idea that will be aired on PGCC TV. Your target group is the PGCC college student population. In two minutes, you will need to effectively bring awareness of the importance of healthy eating and exercise in order to prevent chronic diseases.
Your PSA can focus on your chosen health topic. Please answer the questions below.
- What will be the title of your PSA? Be creative (10 Points).
- What will be the three main educational awareness goals for this PSA (20 Points)?
- Create a slogan for your PSA ad that will be a catchphrase in your broadcast. Be Creative (10 Points).
Putting It all together
- PSA Message Summary (50 Points): Summarize your PSA message. What is the name of your PSA? What issue are you addressing? Why is this issue important? What resources available to PGCC college students? Include how you will use your slogan and catchphrase in your PSA summary.