Pick two different types of facilities or service centers that many older adults might use, and find out information about how that facility serves older adults. Examples of facilities to consider are skilled nursing, assisted living, independent senior housing, senior centers, home health care, homemaker services, adult daycare, and Meals on Wheels.
Talk with someone at the director/manager level. The purpose of your meeting is to learn what types of services different organizations offer for the older adult and how these services affect living arrangements. Pamphlets or literature may be referenced in your paper, but should not constitute the majority of your resources. Summarize your findings in a 2- to 3-page paper for each facility (a total of 4 to 6 pages for the assignment).
The following information should be covered in your report for each facility. Considering there is a large amount of information to be covered in your report, please be concise in your answers as you synthesize your findings. Please do not cut and paste the bulleted points below into your report.
- Name and position of the person you spoke with
- Name of organization, what they do, type of facility or group, location
- How long they have existed
- Number of employees and/or volunteers
- Types of skills needed for staff/volunteers
- Purpose and philosophy of organization or group
- Services offered
- Costs for services, types of payment methods accepted
- Number of people served at a given time, capacity of facility
- Demographics of the population they serve
- Average length of stay or service (if senior center, how often it is open or how often they meet)
- How do they know if they are meeting the needs of the elderly?
- How does this service impact living options for the elderly?
- Your impression of the services offered and the facility or group
- Other relevant information you feel is important
Support your statements with evidence from the Required Studies and your research.