Before beginning work on this week’s discussion forum, please review the link “Doing Discussion Questions Right,” the expanded grading rubric for the forum, and any specific instructions for this week’s topic.
- By the due date assigned, respond to the assigned discussion questions and submit your responses to the appropriate topic in this Discussion Area.
- Respond to the assigned questions using the lessons and vocabulary found in the reading.
- Support your answers with examples and research and cite your research using the APA format.
- Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible.
- Respond to one of the following questions:
- Organizational communication can occur through both formal and informal channels. The informal channel is sometimes called the grapevine and can include rumor and gossip. Should organizational leaders try to stop the grapevine? Propose a research-based plan for a leader’s actions and attitudes about informal communication channels.
- Communication problems can be associated with organizational structure type. For example, vertical or highly centralized organizations are susceptible to certain problems. Highly decentralized organizations are susceptible to certain problems. What should leaders be aware of regarding potential communication problems based on the organization’s structure? How should a leader respond?
- Many people use the terms group and team interchangeably. Should they? Distinguish the terms. Propose key ideas for what it takes to build highly productive team.
- Member roles on a team may be broadly characterized as task roles and social roles. Task roles tend to focus on productivity outcomes. Social roles tend to focus on relational and cohesiveness outcomes. Analyze the relationship between cohesiveness and productivity. Are they compatible goals or in competition with one another? Are task roles or social roles more important to team functioning?