Assignment 1: Research Topics with Explanation
Due Week 2 and worth 100 points
Read through the list of research topics. Select three (3) topics that interest you most and identify two (2) credible sources for each topic. Note: This is one (1) of several parts that will build toward a final publish of your persuasive writing research paper.
Write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
- Explain the reason for selecting topic one (1), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Explain the reason for selecting topic two (2), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Explain the reason for selecting topic three (3), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Identify and document six (6) credible sources (two (2) for each topic) that you would expect to use. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the students name, the professors name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
ENG 215 – Appendices
Appendix D: ENG 215 Topics for Persuasive Writing Research Paper These topics are to be used for Assignments 1-5.
Assignment 1: Research Topics with Explanation
Assignment 2: Research Proposal – Thesis, Major points, and Plan
Assignment 3: Persuasive Paper Part I: A Problem Exists
Assignment 4: Persuasive Paper Part 2: Solution and Advantages
Assignment 5: Persuasive Writing Part 3: Possible Disadvantages and Answers
Some topics focus on the entire county; however, other topics may focus on states, local areas, and / or businesses.
Topics / Questions
1) Should taxes on people making over $250,000 a year be changed?
2) Should Transportation Security (TSA) regulations be changed?
3) Should regulations for home schools be changed?
4) Should funding for the U.S. space program be changed?
5) Should changes be made to the regulations for foods that are served in public schools?
6) Should changes be made to regulations for mental health drugs for minors?
7) Should regulations be changed regarding genetically altering plants and/or animals?
8) Should the Family and Medical Leave Act be changed?
9) Should taxes on alcohol and tobacco be increased to help pay for rising medical costs?
10) Should regulations regarding the use of cell phones while driving be standardized?
11) Should the instant replay used in the NFL be applied to other sports?
12) Should regulations regarding payment of college athletes be changed?
13) Should minors who commit violent crimes be tried as adults?
14) Should child welfare regulations be changed?
15) Should DUI (driving under the influence) laws be changed?
16) Should sex offender registration laws be changed?
17) Should laws governing student laws be changed?
18) Should laws governing nursing homes be changed?
19) Should children of parents who do not allow them to be vaccinated be allowed to attend public school?
20) Should unemployment regulations and benefits be changed?
21) Should rules requiring all members of a jury to agree for conviction be changed?
22) Should financial incentives be offered to high school students to perform well on standardized tests?
23) Should the government offer tax credits for the purchase of hybrid or alternative energy vehicles?
24) Should the U.S. Government prohibit companies from outsourcing jobs to people in foreign countries that do not have unions and / or fair labor laws?
25) Should the U.S. government provide financial assistance to people whose retirement funds were invested in the stock of companies that may have used unethical accounting practices (e.g., Enron, Arthur Andersen, etc.)?
26) Should colleges and universities expel students who are caught cheating on exams and / or plagiarizing their homework assignments?
27) Should the U.S. prohibit trade with countries that have poor records on human rights?
28) Should vehicles (cars, trucks, vans, SUVs) be required to have backup cameras?
29) Should all U.S. students be required to take four years of foreign language in high school?
30) Should the state and / or federal government provide subsidies to organic farmers?
31) Should all states require motorcyclists and passengers to wear helmets?
32) Should state and local governments provide health insurance only for retirees who have served 20 years in government service?
33) Should your state or local government enact different laws regarding certain animals (e.g., pit bulls)?