Social Psychology: Media Matters
watch Jean Kilbourne: The dangerous ways ads see women and Tough Guise: Violence, media & the crisis in masculinity. You must also find one scholarly article to inform your thinking. In this discussion, you will consider the influence of social factors on individual mental processes and behavior. Be sure to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
- Watch Jean Kilbourne: The Dangerous Ways Ads See Women (Jean Kilbourne, 2014), which examines the portrayal of women in advertising and the resulting effects on feminine identity, and Tough Guise: Violence, Media & the Crisis in Masculinity(ChallengingMedia, 2006), which examines the portrayal of men in the media and the resulting effects on masculine identity.
- Locate a scholarly article examining a relevant phenomenon in relation to media and gender (e.g., when considering women in advertising, self-esteem, objectification, body shame, or perceptions of attractiveness might be particularly relevant; when considering men in the media, aggression might be particularly relevant; for both, attitudes and gender roles are relevant themes).
- Focus on women or men for your discussion, depending on the relevant phenomenon you considered in your research above. (You will address the opposite in your replies.).
- Examine the implications of media portrayals of women or men, given the videos you watched and the article you read. In your discussion, include the following:
- Explain how stereotypes, prejudice, and/or discrimination are impacted by media portrayals of women or men.
- Interpret the implications:
- For a woman (if you explored the portrayal of women) or for a man (if you explored the portrayal of men): how might the portrayal of women (men) impact the behavior and/or mental processes of women (men)? Support your interpretation with citations.
- For a woman (if you explored the portrayal of men) or for a man (if you explored the portrayal of women): how does the portrayal of women (men) impact the behavior and/or mental processes of men (women)? Support your interpretation with citations.
- Relate additional phenomena in American culture that that may be especially relevant to a discussion of social attitudes regarding gender.
- Give an example of an advertisement or media program (other than one presented in the required videos) that you believe might impact attitudes. Explain the relevance and point out specific elements that illustrate.
- Remember to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
Post your initial response of 250 words or more
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.