Social work is a practice profession—you apply your learning in practical ways. In the same way you apply your learning to serve clients, you can seek out and apply solutions to your academic needs in a practical way. Academic skills are not magical or illusive—they can be learned, strengthened, and applied to achieve your goals. In this case, your ultimate goal is a graduate degree in social work, applied to help those in need.
Walden University offers a plethora of resources for academic skill development. The challenge is more often finding the time and focus to utilize these resources effectively. Spending the time and energy now to develop these skills will support and enhance your overall success within the MSW program.
Paralleling the work you will do with clients, this Assignment asks you to engage in self-assessment, goal development, and implementation of a plan. The purpose here is to think about the skills you would like to develop over the next 4 weeks and simply envision how you could accomplish that goal. Like many plans, it is not permanent. It can change—think of this as a work in progress, with the focus on self-reflection.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity. Click the weekly resources link to access the resources.
· Review the Learning Resources that relate to SMART Goals and other academic skills.
· Complete the Walden SafeAssign and academic integrity tutorial [Interactive tutorial] found in this week’s Learning Resources under Required Media. This will help you evaluate your academic skills, and the certificate of completion is also required for submission in this Assignment.
· Under Start Here, review the resources on the Academic Skills Resources page. Which of those resources relate to where you think you need to improve your academic skills? Focus on those resources.
· Consider which skills develop over the next 4 weeks.
· Create 3 goals to develop your graduate level skills. Describe how you will meet each goal. Tip: Make goals Specific, Measureable, Acheiveable, Relevant, and Timely. Identify specific academic skill support resources at Walden to plan to use in your skill development.
BY DAY 7
· Complete the Academic Integrity Module and attach the certificate.
· Attach your 3 goals in a word processing document.
· Make sure that both files are attached in the Assignment link before submitting the Assignment.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAcademic Integrity Certificate||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeWays to meet goals||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeWalden resource||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeWriting||
|Total Points: 100|
· National Association of Social Workers. (n.d.). Social work history Links to an external site. . https://www.socialworkers.org/News/Facts/Social-Work-History
Note: Watch the “Legacies of Social Change” video at the bottom of this page.
· Walden University: Student Affairs. (n.d.). Walden SafeAssign and academic integrity tutorial [Interactive tutorial] Links to an external site. . https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/studentaffairs/academicintegrity#s-lg-box-16524229
Note: Take this online tutorial for the Assignment this week. The tutorial provides a certificate to download upon completion. You must submit this certificate in the Assignment.
· Walden University Library. (n.d.). Becoming a scholar [Interactive tutorial] Links to an external site. . https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/c.php?g=259282&p=6149946#s-lg-box-wrapper-22937499
· Walden University Library. (n.d.). Critical reading and evaluation [Interactive tutorial] Links to an external site. . https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/c.php?g=259282&p=6149946#s-lg-box-wrapper-22937514
· Walden University: Academic Skills Center. (n.d.). Developing SMART goals Links to an external site. . https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/academic-skills-center/skills/smart-goals
· Academic Skills Resources: Locate the Academic Skills Resources page under Start Here for your Assignment this week.