I don’t know how to handle this Film question and need guidance.
The Bicycle Thief (1949) :
FIRST – WATCH THE INTRO VIDEO I ATTACHED AND ANSWER THESE TWO QUESTIONS WITH TIME STAMPS (let me know if the video I attached is not working)
1. What major movements were mentioned and what do they have in common?
2. Why does this movie have a bit of a part in the ending of the Hays Code?
Watch the movie “The Bicycle Thief.” (let me know if you need help finding the movie online)
Watch the movie and answer the following questions. When you watch, keep track of the time stamp, which is when something in the movie happened.
1. There is a key shot (a tilt up) at the pawn shops of the bed sheets being put away. Time Stamp it and explain why you think it might be an important moment.
2. The movie enters a church for several minutes. Time Stamp when they go to the church. If you think the director is making a statement about religion, what do you think it is?
3. Why might American audiences prefer the title Bicycle Thief over Bicycle Thieves?
4. Do you like the non-professional actors? Why or why not?
5. How might this film be an influence on small budget films today? Provide at least two examples.
6. Cite your favorite three moments in the movie, time stamp when they start, and say why you like them.
DISCUSSION for after movie:
Do you think this film would be popular with today’s audiences if the film was modern and in English? Why or why not? What was the main reason – or what were the main reasons – you liked or didn’t like the film? CITE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES AND REMEMBER TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX A BIT. EXACT REPLICAS MAY NOT BE AS POPULAR – BUT WHAT IF ITS CONTEXT AND STYLE WAS SIMILAR?
Watch the movie and answer the following questions. (let me know if you need help finding the movie online) When you watch, keep track of the time stamp, which is when something in the movie happened.
No time stamps is a -25 out of 50 total possible points.
1. This film can be considered a horror film. What are three story elements – and three visual elements (think shots and editing) that make it like a horror movie.
2. The villain in Psycho is not a monster, but a monstrous person. In what visual ways or with what sound cues (name at least three) does Hitchcock show him to be the villain, even though it’s not revealed until the end.
3. Provide three examples of three shots during the movie you like the most and why? Time stamp them.
4. Watch the following video and comment on the items included in it – with time stamps – that you think are the most relevant to you and why.
DISCUSSION for after movie:
Do you think this film would be popular with today’s audiences – take the black and white out of it – or don’t make it the only reason? Why or why not? How could it be more popular with today’s audiences? What was the main reason – or what were the main reasons – you liked or didn’t like the film? Cite specific examples in comment and response.
-mandatory to have time stamps with each question
-Put each movie questions and their discussion questions on 2 different documents so PSYCHO + its discussion on one document and THE BICYCLE THIEF + its discussion on another document
lastly let me know if there are any questions :))