The Value of Structured Performance Appraisals
Weekly Readings and Videos
Introduction to Business Communications. (n.d.). courses.lumenlearning.com
Why Business Communication Matters & 22 Tips To Improve Employee Engagement, Productivity, Advocacy & Customer Satisfaction, Retention. Smith, M. (2021) milesanthonysmith.com
Performance Appraisal Conversations
. (2021). Bellevue University
Examples of Adjectives, Verbs, and Descriptive Statements for Use in Performance Appraisals
. (2021). Bellevue University
Reinventing Performance Management: A Deloitte Case Study. Jogi, O. (2015, Apr 13). business.com
A MyPerformance Guide to Performance Conversations
. (n.d.). British Columbia Public Service Agency
Difficult Conversations with Employees: 9 Crucial Rules to Remember. Novakovic, A. (n.d.). insperity.com
Effective Communication: Why is it Important in Management? | 360training Enterprise. (1:05). 360training. (2017, Oct 16). youtube.com
It’s important for managers to understand various perspectives on the effectiveness of formal performance appraisals, how organizations and supervisors use appraisals, and the benefits of using appraisals to help employees and organizations achieve their performance goals.
- You will compose an APA-formatted essay of 400-500 words, double-spaced, with headings. Three outside research sources are required for this assignment. Please note this paper uses full APA formatting (see below for details).
- Review course content and conduct additional research on the topic of performance appraisals. Be sure to find at least one article that supports formal appraisals and one article that does not support formal performance appraisals.
- Take a position on the value of annual performance appraisals.
- In your essay, answer the corresponding set of questions (based on your choice), below. Be sure to include the rationale for your position in the introduction.
If you believe formal performance appraisals SHOULD be used, answer these questions:
- Describe the key parts of a structured performance appraisal conversation. Explain the communication model you would use when conducting a performance appraisal.
- What are the benefits to the employee when using a formal appraisal process?
- What are the benefits to the employer when using a formal appraisal process?
- What happens when an employee receives a formal review that is not what they expected?
- What recommendations would you make to improve a formal performance appraisal process?
If you believe formal performance appraisals SHOULD NOT be used, answer these questions:
- What becomes the most important element of performance, e.g. credentials, actions, etc.? How would you evaluate an employeeâ€™s performance if there were no formal appraisal process?
- What benefits are there to the employee when not using a formal appraisal process?
- What benefits are there to the employer when not using a formal appraisal process?
- What issues or misunderstandings may arise if annual performance appraisals are not used?
- What recommendations would you make to improve a non-formal performance appraisal process?
APA Paper Format Instructions: Double-spaced, 1-inch margins, 11-point Calibri or 12-point Times New Roman font. Include a title page, abstract, headings, page numbers, and a references page. Include an appendix per APA-style guidelines and use in-text citations.