Please review the video on the assignments page under the discussion section as it will provide you with an opportunity to immerse yourself in the role of a nurse addressing tobacco use during routine patient care. In doing so, reflect on what you have learned about tobacco use and the role that nurses and other interdisciplinary team members play in helping to assist tobacco users with quitting. While viewing, it is also important to keep in mind that tobacco users move through stages of change in the process of quitting. They move from pre-contemplation to contemplation, contemplation to preparation; preparation to abstinence; abstinence to maintenance. Every stage requires a different strategy by a nurse.
After watching the video, and reflecting on the information presented, address each of the following questions.
- What are the common symptoms associated with an exacerbation of COPD?
- What assessment techniques will you use to assess Mary?
- Identify smoking strategies that would be appropriate for each of the encounters that Mary had with the nurse throughout the video that could have been used to assist Mary in quitting smoking.
- Find a resource in your community that could assist Mary. Start by searching the Internet for your local health department’s website. What services are available to Mary? Briefly describe the services that the state quit line provides. Does it meet the 4 As? Is it accessible, acceptable, affordable, or available for Mary?
- What will you do to follow-up on Mary’s smoking cessation process?