PART 1- APA Format-Choose one of the following topics to discuss in your initial post either Plastic in Ocean or Solutions to the Issue of Plastic Pollution.
Water and Plastic Dont Mix
This week in we will discuss a significant water resource issue that of plastic pollution. Plastic does not biodegrade but rather continues through the ecosystem primarily landing in the ocean. The effects on wildlife and ecosystems is significant. Access the following video and references to better understand this issue.
Part I: The Links
Use these resources to here and your own internet research to explore and better understand the causes, issue, and solutions of plastic pollution in water ecosystems.
**Be sure to click in the i in the corner of the video that has more resources to explore**
ARTICLE: Plastic Pollution in the Worlds Oceans: More than 5 Trillion Plastic Pieces Weighing over 250,000 Tons Afloat at Sea (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0111913)
Part II: Questions
Since this is not a writing assignment but a discussion, you will not need to formally reference your work but need to attribute it to the source you found it, something likely you do in everyday conversation. For example, Yesterday I was reading in the Washington Post that . . or, I found this interesting video on YouTube.
Choose one of the following topics to discuss in your initial post either Plastic in Ocean or Solutions to the Issue of Plastic Pollution.
Topic 1: Plastic in the Ocean
- What do you see as the cause for plastic pollution?
- What specifically are the effects of plastic pollution on these resources? Choose one of the following topics discuss:
- ocean mammals
- water quality
- How significant of an issue is plastic pollution? Did your opinion change after researching the topic?
Topic 2: Solutions to the Issue of Plastic Pollution
- What do you see as a viable solution for the issue of plastic pollution?
- What are the pros and cons of the solution you chose?
- NY City Plastic Pollution Article http://ecowatch.com/2016/02/10/plastic-in-water-nyc/
- Video Catalyst Plastic Pollution http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3583576.htm
- NOAA Poster What we know about the Garbage Patches http://media.nationalgeographic.org/assets/file/gpposter.pdf
- TED Talk: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
Part 2- 250 Words- APA Format- 3 References
Subsaharan Africa has a number of diseases and other health issues which cause significant suffering for its residents and presents significant public health challenges. Choose one health concern in Subsaharan Africa that gets your attention. Describe the disease or issue, why its such a problem, and how the areas affected might best meet the challenges posed by it.