answer each question with about a paragraph
Power and Privilege
- Have you ever been discriminated against because of any of your group memberships? Describe the situations and feelings that come to mind?
2a. What does having power or being powerful mean to you? What does having power or being powerless mean to you?
b. What experiences have you had having power or being in a privileged position? beig in power during the military due to the rank i held of being a sgt What were the circumstances? How did you feel? What did you do? How did you interact with others?
c. What experiences have you had being powerless? being a female overall in the miitary What were the the circumstances? How did you feel? What did you do? How did you interact with others?
d. In what areas of your life are you currently privileged or powerful? priviledged at school and work due to the position i hold Why? In what areas of your life do you currently feel powerless? among my family i feel powerless because they do not approve of my studiesWhy?
3. Think about the power dynamics in your family and in your personal relationships. What is your role? What patterns do you see?
4. Think about the power dynamics relevant to your ___________________. How are these manifested in your interactions with others? In your behavior in unfamiliar situations? In the world around you? In how you are treated by others? In your feelings about your identification with group members?
c. social class
d. educational status
e. sexual orientation
5. Think about your own power motives. To what degree do you assume power in your relationships and activities? To what degree do you give others power in your relationships and activities? How comfortable/uncomfortable are you with being powerful? Powerless?
6. How might your own power dynamics and those of your group (racial, gender, etc.) impact your role as a therapist? To what degree do you see yourself as a “rescuer”? How quickly do you assume what is ‘best” for someone else? How much do you need to be seen as intelligent, capable, knowledgeable? How difficult is it for you to openly disclose your ignorance or lack of knowledge to others? Are you aware of any tendencies on your part to adopt or avoid more power based on the other person’s group membership?