What roles does government (on all levels) play in the health care delivery system in the United States? Why does it play these roles and why is it limited to these roles? Can we approach universal coverage without government (why/why not)? Do you think that government should play a greater or lesser role in health care delivery? What role would you support and why?
@ ¢ Use 81/2" x 11" paper, with one-inch margins on all sides.
¢ Papers should be typed, with all text, including quotes, double-spaced.
¢ Do not use covers or cover pages.
¢ Use Courier or Courier New 12 font
¢ Do not exceed the maximum length for the assignment.
¢ Papers should be free of typographical and spelling errors and should be grammatically correct.
INTEREST GROUP PROFILE
Assignment: Identify a special interest group which is involved in health care politics in California. Sign up at the second class session.
Content: The paper and presentation should include:
1. General description of the group
¢ Who are the members?
¢ What is the general purpose of the organization?
2. General goals/policies regarding the health care delivery system
¢ What position did it take on the 2010 health reform debate?
¢ What does it want the health system to be like?
¢ Generally, what does it want to accomplish in legislation?
3. Positions on specific health issues
¢ What positions has it taken? Using Feldsteins model (from the article on WebCT), why has it taken these positions?
4. The groups power
¢ How successful/influential is it?
Your primary source of information will be the group itself. You should contact it early because sending you information may not be its highest priority. In addition to written information that the group provides, you will probably need to interview a staff member, either in person or on the telephone. Some information is available from their web pages. Where possible, these are linked to our class page.
This paper is according to ¢ Bodenheimer, Thomas and Kevin Grumbach. Understanding Health Policy: A Clinical Approach, 6th ed. (2012) book. and please use these links
The final exam will be on Wednesday at 2:00 pm in Butte 229 for Section 1 or Tuesday at 8:00 pm. in Butte 201 for Section 2. See me if you need to take it at another time.
The exam, will consist of one essay question, worth 200 points. Two questions will be selected from this list by a random process and you may write on either one. You will need a large "Blue Book."
While spelling and grammar are still important, I recognize that it is harder to be careful during a test than it is on a written assignment. Please try though. I read what you wrote and not necessarily what you meant. Handwriting is important. If I cant read it, I cant grade it!
The test will be "closed-book." However, I encourage you, in studying, to outline possible answers to these questions and to work together.
1. What role do special interest groups play in health politics? Describe the five types of demands found in special interest groups legislative activities and provide an example of how each would apply to the policy positions taken by special interest groups. Why are special interests so effective in the political arena?
2. Three of the proposed reforms of the U.S. health care delivery system are employer mandate, individual mandate, and a single payer system. Describe the health system that these plans would implement and the differences among them. How do they balance providing access to care, containing the cost of care, and ensuring quality of care? Do you think that any or all of these is a good proposal? Why (or why not)?
3. What roles does government (on all levels) play in the health care delivery system in the United States? Why does it play these roles and why is it limited to these roles? Can we approach universal coverage without government (why/why not)? Do you think that government should play a greater or lesser role in health care delivery? What role would you support and why?
4. What is Halvorsons argument regarding what is wrong with the healthcare system? What are his favored solutions? Do you think that these would solve the problems; why/why not.? Do you agree with them: why/why not.?
5. Is the cost of health care a problem in the U.S.? How is this seen? Bodenheimer and Grumbach describe painful versus painless cost control What are these? How do they compare to Halvorsons cost containment ideas? What do you think is the answer to this problem?
6. How does the 2010 health reform (PPACA) attempt to expand access to care? How will this be paid for? What will be the impact on quality? Do you think that the bill will be a success? Why/why not. How would you amend the bill? Why?
Newsletter subscriptions (required):
¢Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report
Guide to the Legislative Process
California bill search
California constitution and laws
Thomas (Federal legislation)
Federal Digital Access (Federal legislation)
Meriam Library Government Resources
Kaiser Family Foundation
And please Make sure to put the source inside the paper next to each information like ( authors last name + page number)