Resources: Week 5 readings and videos
Choose a product or service from these examples:
- Fast food
- Class of consumer product
- Personal care
Research the Internet to analyze how that product or service has been advertised.
Prepare a 10 slide MicrosoftÂ® PowerPointÂ® presentation in which you investigate the role of advertising in a culture of consumerism. Be sure to discuss the following:
- Who determines ethical standards for advertising?
- In what ways has advertising affected American culture?
- What are the key persuasive techniques used in consumer advertising? Illustrate with specific examples, explaining how each technique works.
- Discuss some of the critical issues that may arise from the following areas:
- Children and advertising
- Advertising in schools
- Health and advertising
- Political advertising
- Find one example of a commercial that strikes you as particularly creative and appealing:
- What are the elements that are unusual?
- What is the target group of the commercial?
- How does the commercial appeal to consumers?
- Why do you believe this commercial to be effective in brand name recognition?
- How are ethical standards met (or pushed to their limits)?
Illustrate your findings with specific examples. List any references on the last slide.
Format consistent with APA formatting guidelines.